Monday, July 1, 2013

A Day Long Remembered


The 12 inch Darth Vader was the only thing in the world I wanted for my 5th birthday. We looked and looked and could never find one. I sat on my bed looking out of the window waiting for my dad to come home that day. I remember seeing my dad pull into the driveway carrying a present wrapped in green shiny paper with a big white bow. 

When I was a little kid I would draw Star Wars pictures. Darth Vader with a glowing lightsaber or TIE Fighters chasing X-wings. Big space battles with a Death Star and explosions everywhere...with the sound effects of course as I drew them. My mom and dad always told me one day maybe I would draw pictures of Star Wars for new movies and books and all kinds of stuff. They planted a seed in my head.

It's always been a dream of mine to draw Star Wars officially in some way shape or form.

Last August my wife and I attended the Star Wars Celebration in Orlando. She is the best and has always supported my art. When I saw Troy Alders from Lucasfilm would be reviewing portfolios, I had to go for a day or two, and she said lets go for the whole event. She is amazing! We were first in line for portfolio reviews!

As events unfolded going to see Troy reminded me of Neo going to see The Oracle in The Matrix. My only expectation was to see what advice he would give and hope he wouldn't tell me to keep my day job.

He was a super nice guy and had encouraging advice. He suggested I stop by several of the companies at the show and have them take a look at my work. He said my work was clean and very stylized and should be able to find work with someone there. That my style was suited for comics, t-shirts and also to maybe work on a larger scale (very cool cause I also paint murals).

Among the companies at the show, Topps was one of the ones he really suggested I go see. I was so stoked he said Topps. You see, I collected Topps Star Wars cards since I was that little kid in the picture above. Lots of Star Wars cards and lots of bubble gum. Two of my favorite things as a kid! I also collected the Galaxy card series religiously and was inspired so much by all of the artists on the set. I was fortunate to meet many of the artists at the Celebration and learn how they got into the industry. Super cool people and very kind to share their experience and advice.

My next stop at the Topps booth started to bring things full circle. It's all really too much to write in this entry but another encouraging portfolio review and some emails later...I have completed my first set of sketch cards for Star Wars Galactic Files Series 2.

When I got the invitation I read it like fifty times before I woke up my wife. I actually thought I clicked on the wrong folder. I thought it was an old email and I wasn't looking at my inbox. I thought it was also just a notification the series was coming out. No, it was an invitation to be a part of the series doing sketch cards. I ran downstairs like a little kid at Christmas. I told my wife. I called mom and dad. This was real. For real, real. I was going to draw Star Wars. I couldn't stop shaking for the next three hours. I also couldn't sleep that night.

I could not have done this with out a lot of people behind me along the way. Mom and dad are the best for encouraging me and believing in me. My wife is the best for being there to support me. My best pal Roger [link] who taught me so much I can't even say, has always been a huge inspiration. I also have to say thanks to Joe Hogan [link]. Dude has inspired and encouraged me along this path the last year. Joe's journey really made me think I could do this. Allen, your time is coming man. Thanks so much to all of you who have followed and supported my artwork and all of the kind words and inspirations you have shared.

It's been quite a journey to this point. I can't thank you enough and can't wait to share more of the journey ahead. 

So here are two sets for Star Wars Galactic Files Series 2:



That kid in the picture above. That's how I feel right now. Today I finally get to tell the world I drew Star Wars. 

It will be a day long remembered.
-Chris

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Little Brother! Your hard work and DEDICATION to all things Star Wars has brought you this far. It will be fun to see where The Force takes you next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You were the one who first took me to see Star Wars when I was just a little tyke! Guess you are partly responsible too, huh! Always in motion is the future, but I sure hope to do more Star Wars work!

      Delete
  2. My brother is awesome! When this set hits the BX I will be there ready for purchase. Wow! Incredible art work Chris! This set will have a special place in my man-room when I retire in 3yrs...right next to the auto Ken Griffey baseball and Griffey/McGwife auto action figures. Can't wait! Does this make me a groupie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you dig! Make sure you check out my work over here http://tyrant-1.deviantart.com/ also. I am working on a new set now, though I don't think I can say just what yet. You know, Top Secret and all. Haha! It's not Star Wars but very very cool in it's own right and I am super stoked to be a part of it. In the meantime, I'm working on getting better and learning all the time. As big a sports card fan as you are, maybe I can get a sport set in eventually. A portrait card next to that Ken Griffey Jr. autographed baseball would rock! Hopefully you will have a display case full of sets one day. Take care and go find my extra large shinobi shozoku ninja suit! Or any ninja suit from Japan would be awesome! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete