Monday, October 22, 2012

You Have Taken Your First Step Into A Larger World

I think maybe I have seen Star Wars way too many times in moments when I hear Obi-Wan in my head saying things. Of course I don't think that's possible. Seeing Star Wars too many times. Besides hearing Obi-Wan in my head is perfectly normal.

In recent weeks I've jumped into the world of sketch cards. I usually work on a 5 x 7 inch size so it isn't a giant leap to the standard 2.5 x 3.5 inch sketch cards. As an artist it's pretty rewarding creating pieces on such a scale when you make some you really dig.

The biggest challenge really so far was not working on a smaller surface. Finding the right cards and pens to get these images out of my head has been the tricky part.

I've tried cutting my own cards but like having the consistency of pre-cut blanks. I went through several card types made by Strathmore before settling on the 42 pt lightweight vellum finish artist trading cards. They are a bit thicker than what appears to be the standard, but for my own cards is just right, for now. The other cool thing is I can paint watercolors on these without the warping you get from the watercolor cards made by Strathmore.

As for inks, I have used a variety of pens and markers but settled on the KOH-I-NOOR Rapido Sketch 0/.035 and 1/.50 Art Pens. I get the solid blacks without the marker streaks. Of course I discover this about 70 cards down the road. All good though. I still dig em. Oh, and I scored some Copic markers on the cheap so that's been another fun set to play with.

With all that said here are my latest cards. Well, sorta. I've been doing so many I have lost track of what order I've done them in.

My first step into a larger world. Or should that be a smaller one?

Star Wars Sketch Cards





No comments:

Post a Comment