Monday, January 23, 2012

DARTH MAUL RETURNS

I remember all the hype when Episode 1 came out. I remember racing to a friends place after work to see the premier of the trailer on MTV. When I saw Darth Maul I was blown away. If you have never seen Episode 1 the trailer is amazing. Everyone wondered who the tattoo-faced evil horned guy with the double-bladed Lightsaber was. He was here and gone before we even got to know him. We loved you Darth Maul.

I always thought it would have been awesome to keep Maul through all the prequels and Anakin kill him in the third movie. How do you create such an iconic character and just kill him? I always thought Dooku was this boring old geezer. Yeah, he was Yoda's student and Qui-Gon's master (and Obi-Wan was his student who was Anakin's master). That part of the story is cool in this dysfunctional extended family thing and it all makes sense. Dooku fits in with all the politics and the head games that follow. And I have learned to appreciate Dooku in the cartoon series.

Really though? George couldn't have found a way to keep Maul in the mix?

So we have the Clone Wars television series. Now, Darth Maul is coming back! Somehow and someway they have managed to figure a way to make this work. Not sure how yet, but clearly the bad guys have a different view of and way of dealing with, death than the good guys. Darth Sidious even says his master, Darth  Plagueis, could "save people from death." I mean if General Grievous is a cyborg with essentially a brain, heart and lungs, and Vader is a little more than that, why can't they resurrect Darth Maul?  A lot of people have a hard time with this. The only thing I have a hard time with is people complained they killed him and now they complain he's coming back. I don't care if he's a clone, a cyborg, a ghost, a fake, a twin, a lollipop, a topper for your soda, (Was it Pizza Hut or Taco Bell that had those?) or it was all just a dream. Darth Maul is back! It's all good to me. Just as long as he doesn't jump up and shout "YIPPIE!" when he realizes he's still alive.

That said, there were lots of concepts of Darth Maul. This pic is nothing special but I always thought this version was pretty cool.

DARTH MAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment