Monday, September 26, 2011

USE THE FORCE, LUKE!

Line is a huge part of my artwork. Back in the day, in my late teens and early twenties, I did a lot of watercolors. You could see a certain quality to the line emerging, but most of what I drew had a fair amount of detail. There were two really big influences on my art back then. Batman: The Animated Series was really big and the simplicity of the style blew my mind...and the stories were fantastic! Thanks Bruce Timm! I moved to New York and discovered Madman comics. The stories were kinda funny and had this hip retro thing going that was super cool. Thanks Mike Allred!

I drew like a painter. Because I did mostly watercolors, I never really shaded anything. Something I got away from as line really took over in my work.

Fast forward a few years, I dabbled a bit in digital coloring. The few pics I did, I was actually pretty happy. That said, I hate computers for the most part. While I acknowledge how useful they can be as tools, I think people depend on them entirely way too much. As technology progresses, people become more and more detached. Maybe I saw Terminator too many times and maybe the ongoing theme of computers taking over in science fiction really influenced my whole perspective on man and the machine. Anyone seen the Matrix? How about Star Wars? Think Luke could have blown up the Death Star if he didn't turn off the targeting scanner?

In recent months I've brought my artwork to cyber space. First with this blog and then to some other sites where I also post my work.

Today I took another step into the digital world. I've been tinkering around with a return to digital coloring in the last few months. Today I just decided I was determined to get back on the bike and give it a go. Though I am by far no computer savy Michelangelo, once again, I find I'm content with what I've done. Here are the first attempts to ride again. I'll keep plugging away and see where this goes the next few weeks. As long as there is no digital canon thing to zap me and suck me into the computer like in TRON, anyway.

NOSFERATU


SKELETON MAN

EYEBALL

NURSE

No comments:

Post a Comment